Reading Time: 2 minutes
One of the things many people often miss when switching to a vegan diet is cheese. Here is a recipe for a rich and tasty “cheese” made with nuts.
Nutritional yeast gives this recipe a surprising and delicious cheesy flavor. I recommend looking for Non-Fortified Nutritional Yeast Flakes because most nutritional yeast products are fortified with synthetic vitamins that can have negative health effects. The non-fortified yeast products provide a natural source of B-vitamins in a form that is better tolerated by the body.
This recipe never fails to please. You can use it as a salad topper, in a raw lasagna, as a dip with raw veggies or stacked and layered with fresh sliced heirloom tomatoes.
It keeps for about three days in a sealed container in the fridge.
- 2 cups cashews or macadamias
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 ⁄2 cup basil
- 1 teaspoon Himalayan salt
- 1 ⁄4 cup nutritional yeast
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 ⁄2 cup water as needed
- Soak nuts in pure water for at least two hours.
- Draing nuts then place all ingredients in a high-speed blender or food processor and combine until completely smooth.
- Taste for seasoning and if necessary add extra salt or lemon juice.