Reading Time: 2 minutes
If you need an excuse to indulge your sweet tooth, today is National Strawberry Ice Cream Day! Here is an ultra-healthy raw vegan version that is smooth, creamy, and satisfying.
Raw banana ice cream is a popular treat for those following a raw food diet. However, I actually prefer to include berries and other fruits when I make raw vegan ice cream because it creates a lighter texture and a less noticeable banana flavor.
I use Medicine Flower vanilla flavor, which is a concentrated organic extract. You can substitute this with vanilla bean powder or a natural vanilla extract if you prefer.
The nut milk makes it a little more creamy. If you prefer to keep it low fat you can omit the nut milk and replace it with water and it will still be delicious.
You will need a food processor or a high-speed blender to make this recipe. I don’t recommend using a regular blender otherwise you risk burning out the motor – and I say this from personal experience!
If you have no other option you can still make this recipe in a regular blender by using extra nut milk or water. In this case, it will be more like a really thick smoothie. But if you really want ice cream you can try putting it into the freezer to set for a couple of hours and this should do the trick.
- 6 frozen bananas
- 2 cups frozen strawberries
- 1/4 cup nut milk or water
- 6 drops Medicine Flower vanilla extract or a pinch of vanilla bean powder
- Optional: 1-2 tablespoons agave or 1-2 medjool dates for extra sweetness
- Blend nut milk, vanilla and frozen strawberries until smooth.
- Gradually add bananas, blending until smooth and creamy.
- Serve immediately or place in the fridge for a couple of hours to set.